Last up is SanDisk ( SNDK), the $14 billion data storage firm. SanDisk is one of the biggest firms in the flash memory market, a corner of the computer storage industry that's been ballooning in size as demand from mobile devices continues to expand quickly. SanDisk's revenue streams include retail and OEM sales as well as licensing fees earned from other memory makers that want to use SNDK's portfolio of patents.
That patent portfolio gives SNDK some big advantages -- it means that the firm benefits from the overall growth of the NAND flash memory market, regardless of who's manufacturing the memory. Flash has some major plusses over conventional hard disk drives; it's faster, lighter, uses few moving parts, and it's impervious to bumps and shocks. Since flash memory is projected to continue to grow in popularity as pricing comes down, that's a huge advantage for SNDK.A large net cash position helps to reduce some of the risk in shares of SNSK. The firm currently carries around 10% of its market capitalization in net cash, a major advantage over less-flush peers. While SNDK is far from a deep value name at current price levels, it's another name that's shown stellar relative strength this year. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV