NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In two different videos Friday, TheStreet's Brittany Umar, David Peltier and Lindsey Bell gave us a look at some of the big events happening this week.
Bell noted that the old adage "Sell in May and go away" has not seemed to apply in 2013, but Peltier said it is important to note that the S&P 500 (SPX) was down six of the previous nine sessions to end the month. Also, according to Peltier, June has typically been the worst month for stocks over the last 20 years.
Dollar General has had a huge run this year. Analysts will be looking for it to report earnings of 73 cents a share share, an increase of 13% year over year.Wednesday features homebuilder Hovanian Enterprises (HOV), and analysts are expecting a slight loss despite the strong housing recovery. Thursday features the retailer Ann (ANN) and network provider Ciena (CIEN), which has missed two of its previous three earnings estimates. The most notable event this week will certainly be the nonfarm payrolls number on Friday. The trading week will likely be choppy headed into Friday, with investors uncertain about the results and perhaps more importantly, the ramifications it will have on the Fed's policy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV