By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Health Management Associates (HMA) rallied hard in the first quarter, and the bulls came back to the hospital operator on Friday.
OptionMonster's monitoring programs detected the purchase of almost 4,500 June 14 calls in volume far above the strike's previous open interest of just 22 contracts. Premiums rose from 50 cents to 80 cents, which shows the strong buying interest.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, so they can generate significant leverage if the stock rallies. Their cheap entry price also helps investors manage risk.The stock rose 6.24% to a new record closing high of $13.79 on Friday. It stock spent two months consolidating after its big move early in the year, then found support at its 100-day moving and started running again last week. Overall option volume in the name was 37 times greater than average in the session. Calls accounted for a bullish three-quarters of the total. Russell has no positions in HMA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV