If there was any enthusiasm for ganetespib going into the ASCO meeting, it's likely taking a hit now that investors have fixated on the anti-PD-1 drugs from Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) and Merck (MRK). These drugs are producing some of the strongest responses to melanoma ever seen and are also targeting lung cancer.
One oddity from the latest Galaxy-1 update that Synta should answer Monday night when it meets with investors: The median overall survival for normal progressors treated with docetaxel alone was 6.4 months, which is lower than the 7.4 months for all adenocarcinoma patients treated with docetaxel alone. The normal progressors should be living longer, suggesting the hazard ratio of 0.61 might, in reality, be overstating the real effect of the drug.
Ganetespib failed to produce a statistically significant anti-tumor response in the Galaxy-1 trial. In the adenocarcinoma population, confirmed response rate was 14 percent for ganetespib/docetaxel compared to 9 percent for docetaxel alone. In the normal responder subgroup of patients, the response rate was 15 percent to 9 percent favoring ganetespib/docetaxel over docetaxel.
Synta characterized the updated results from the Galaxy-1 study as positive and increasing the likelihood that the confirmatory Galaxy-2 study will be successful.-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV