THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., June 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen (NASDAQ: AMGN) today announced detailed results from a pivotal Phase 3 trial evaluating talimogene laherparepvec in patients with unresected stage IIIB, IIIC or IV melanoma compared to granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF). The results will be presented as an oral presentation at the 2013 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting (Abstract No. LBA9008).
The study met its primary endpoint of durable response rate (DRR), defined as the rate of complete or partial response lasting continuously for at least six months. A statistically significant difference was observed in DRR with 16 percent in the talimogene laherparepvec arm versus two percent in the GM-CSF arm (95 percent CI, 12-21 percent, versus 95 percent CI, 0-5 percent, p<0.0001). The overall response rate was 26 percent with talimogene laherparepvec as compared to six percent for GM-CSF. A trend toward overall survival (HR = 0.79, 95 percent CI, 0.61-1.02) was also observed at a predefined interim analysis.
"These are the first data from a controlled trial of oncolytic immunotherapy to demonstrate activity in melanoma," said Sean E. Harper, M.D., executive vice president of Research and Development at Amgen. "We are pleased with the results of this pivotal Phase 3 trial for talimogene laherparepvec and we look forward to the mature overall survival data later this year."In regionally and distantly metastatic melanoma (stages III and IV), cancer has spread to skin, lymph nodes, or to other organs distant from the site of origin. The DRR was highest among patients with stage III and stage IVM1a disease. The observed DRR for talimogene laherparepvec were: 33 percent in stage IIIB/IIlC, 16 percent in stage IVM1a, and three and eight percent respectively for stages IVM1b and IVM1c. The DRR with GM-CSF was not higher than four percent in any of the stage subsets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV