Economic reports were mixed:
The Chicago Institute for Supply Management reported that its business barometer index rose by 9.7 to 58.7 in May from April, the highest level since March 2012 and in sharp contrast to April's three and a half year low. "Order backlogs, suppliers' deliveries and employment aall snapped out of contraction," Chicago ISM said.
The May reading came in way ahead of the level of level of 50 expected by economists polled by Thomson Reuters. A reading of above 50 indicates expansion.
Also on Friday, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reported that personal income in the U.S. was down $5.6 billion, or less than 0.1%, during April, after increasing by 0.3% in March. Economists on average were expecting an increase of 0.1% in April.Shares of American International Group (AIG) were down 4% to close at $44.46, after the insurer announced that it hadn't received a 10% deposit by a May 30 deadline, as required under its agreement to sell a majority stake in International Lease Financial Corporation to an investor group led by New China Trust. AIG has the right to cancel the deal, but hasn't chosen to do so, at least yet. A company spokesman declined to comment. AIG is relying on receiving $4.2 billion through the sale of an 80.1% stake in ILFC, with the agreement allowing the investor group to purchase up to 90% of the leasing subsidiary. Otherwise, the insurer may have to make a significant reduction in share buybacks this year.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV