NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Splunk (SPLK) bucked broad market declines Friday to close up more than 3% to $46.76 on more than double the average volume as investors forgave the company for its negative margins guidance the prior evening.
Investors took the opportunity to book profits on the stock in after-hours Thursday, as shares ran up more than 55% year-to-date. The company said that while it was raising its full-year revenue outlook, second-quarter operating margins would be negative. Splunk explained that it was investing heavily in data platform, content and Software-as-a-Service offerings.
For the first quarter, the company reported a surge in revenue growth, even as other software companies report a slowdown in growth. Revenue increased 54% to $57.2 million. At the same time, its headcount grew even more: 72% year-over-year, demonstrating just how aggressively the company is investing in growth.
Because investors have been rewarding companies that are aggressively investing in growth at a time when growth stocks have been scarce, Splunk shares recovered by the next day."Splunk is willing to take a margin hit for the sake of furthering their revenue growth ... and it's getting rewarded rather than penalized for it," said Shebly Seyrafi, an analyst for FBN Securities. "Big data is an important trend that will stay around for several years, and Splunk as pure play is a good way to play on that trend," he added. "People realize that this is one of the best stories in technology." Follow @atwtse Written by Andrea Tse in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV