MONTREAL, May 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) today announced the successful candidates for its 2013 From the Ground Up program. Of the 115 applications received in the program's second year, 30 communities were selected to receive grants of up to $25,000 each. The program's objective is to promote the greening of municipal properties across Canada, especially areas in close proximity to rail lines. CN, with its partners Tree Canada and Communities in Bloom, will help Canadian municipalities establish tree planting and green space enhancement initiatives in a sustainable, environmentally responsible manner.
"CN is absolutely delighted with the outstanding response to our CN EcoConnexions - From the Ground Up program," said Claude Mongeau, CN President and Chief Executive Officer. "We are especially proud of the links being developed between and amongst the various participants - CN, Communities in Bloom, Tree Canada, dozens of communities across Canada, local groups and organizations, environmental associations - all being brought together to promote a common goal: environmentally sustainable greening projects across the country."
CN and its partners are pleased with the response and the quality of the applications. The vast majority of the projects submitted clearly demonstrated the importance of tree planting and green spaces in the development and wellbeing of communities.
The funds provided by CN will allow the communities to put into action environmental initiatives and to engage local stakeholders in community sustainable development plans.Successful candidates were chosen on the basis of rigourous selection criteria designed and overseen by CN's program partners, Tree Canada and Communities in Bloom. The two organizations rated each application on those criteria and presented a ranked list of programs to CN. CN then selected final candidates from the top-ranked communities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV