If you haven't read the news yet, Google announced that Motorola Mobility (owned by Google) is in the process of hiring workers to produce a U.S.-assembled smartphone. The plant is located in Texas (I guess everything is bigger in Texas) and will be the biggest smartphone factory within the U.S.
The Fort Worth plant is more or less the only smartphone factory, so gaining the title wasn't much of a challenge. Most of the more than 1,000 parts needed will be imported for final assembly. Even baby steps in the right direction are better than no steps.
More important for investors in the smartphone space is the impact on others.We know from Nokia and more recently from BlackBerry that producing an impressive "it's the best you gotta have it" phone will push the share price up for a few months. Without an expeditious and equally strong followup product, the lifting catalyst fades away like my three-year-old's balloon he received two weeks ago. My son continues to hold the balloon long after it fell back to the ground (kicking it in frustration as he walks by because it won't levitate any longer). Not unlike some BBRY investors who jumped on the bandwagon ahead of BlackBerry's 10 release, but didn't exit in time.
I wrote "BlackBerry Isn't a 10 for Investors" warning investors not chase the company higher. In it I said the company's "shares are likely to spike higher during the week of BlackBerry 10's release. What may turn into the biggest catalyst for what may be a significant rise is short sellers and not the phone...." The best play, I said, "appears to be buying shares now, and closing out the position either the day before, day of, or day after
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV