President Obama's Agenda Fails the Middle Class: Opinion
Unable to push through Congress limits on CO2 emissions, President Obama has used executive orders and the EPA to impose limits by fiat. Unfortunately, those actions will raise manufacturing costs; China has no such limits, and all this encourages business to outsource in China -- again fewer jobs for the middle class and aspiring middle class.
Free-trade agreements that permit trading partners to undervalue their currencies, subsidize exports and artificially underprice their products on U.S. store shelves; health care mandates that raise the price of insuring employees instead of controlling costs; unnecessarily cumbersome regulations to run factories; mindless limits on developing U.S. oil reserves; and exporting abundant natural gas to countries that shut out U.S. products with high tariffs. All of this encourages outsourcing, not just in manufacturing, but for many supporting services, too -- yet again, fewer jobs for middle class Americans.
Performance not polemics is the problem. His progressive agenda has accomplished 2.1% growth and an anemic job market since the economic recovery began.
In comparable circumstances, Ronald Reagan engineered 5% growth and many more middle class jobs by rejecting the failed policies of the left and betting on American's competitive instincts.Democrats are asking too much of President Obama to explain how his agenda helps the middle class. There's no there, there.
Follow @pmorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV