Already two big players have exited the market. Last year, hedge fund Och Ziff (OZ), one of the early entrants into the business, called it quits. And now it appears Carrington Holding is also pulling out of the business, according to Bloomberg News.
Chief Executive Bruce Rose, who raised $450 million for the business from Oaktree Capital (OAK) last year told Bloomberg that returns were not adequate to continue investing. "There's a lot of -- bluntly -- stupid money that jumped into the trade without any infrastructure, without any real capabilities and a kind of build-it-as-you-go mentality that we think is somewhat irresponsible," the report quoted him saying.
Indeed, the early entrants to this business face enormous challenges.
Good Yield Is So Hard To Find
Institutional investors are already finding it hard to acquire properties at good prices. Most players are chasing the same properties in the same cities, creating bidding wars that automatically lower potential yield.
Properties can be purchased in bulk only in places where there is abundant supply of foreclosed homes, so almost all players in the business are actively bidding in cities such as Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Tampa and parts of California, which is why we are seeing a strong rebound in home prices in these markets.
Most players need to limit their buying to a few cities simply for operational reasons. Managing a widely-dispersed group of single-family homes is an operational nightmare. In the case of multi-family homes, a number of units are clustered into a single building, lowering the cost of maintenance. But imagine having to handle, say, the plumbing issues of a thousand homes spread all across Atlanta. "You need a management infrastructure that is much more diffused
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV