NEW YORK, May 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- During the Sanford Bernstein "Strategic Decisions Conference," DuPont Chair and CEO Ellen Kullman told investors that the company's "Integrated Science" gives it an advantage like no other company to deliver value to customers and shareholders.
"DuPont's three areas of scientific strength – agricultural sciences, biosciences and material sciences – are integrated and leveraged across our company to deliver unique solutions to customers' problems and create value for our shareholders," Kullman said. She cited such examples as DuPont's work in improving fuel efficiency, creating advanced biofuels, improving food quality and growing applications of renewably sourced polymers. "The scope of our portfolio also enables us to leverage our market knowledge globally across multiple industries and regions to drive innovation that meets local customers' needs."
Kullman continued, "We have three clear strategic priorities to generate superior shareholder returns:
- Extend our leadership in the high-value, science-driven segments of the agriculture-to-food value chains, and leverage the linkages across these segments,
- Strengthen and grow our leading position as a provider of differentiated, high-value advanced materials through science-based solutions and,
- Develop world-leading industrial biotechnology capabilities to create transformational, new bio-based businesses like biofuels and biomaterials."
DuPont's "Integrated Science" is underpinned by the company's focus on disciplined execution, according to Kullman. "Productivity is not a program; it is part of every business, function and region's game plan. It is cost productivity, working capital productivity, as well as productivity and returns from our capital expenditures and investments in R&D."DuPont has increased its research and development by approximately 50 percent over the past five years, targeted at its highest value-creating opportunities. Likewise, DuPont is allocating more capital expenditures to businesses that have proven they can generate faster growth and higher cash returns. "This productivity and resource allocation discipline accelerates science-driven innovations for customers and increases the value of DuPont for its shareholders," Kullman said.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts