By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option activity has been heavy in Ford (F), and Thursday traders adjusted some winning bets to position for even more gains.
Earlier in the week, OptionMonster's tracking programs detected buying in the Weekly 15.50 calls that expire at the end of Friday's for 8 cents through 11 cents. The stock traded near $16 Thursday, and the options had risen to the 30 cents-40 cents range.
This time, investors sold those contracts and bought the June 16 calls for 22 cents and 26 cents. That let them take in a small credit, while keeping them on track for more gains with the new options if the stock keeps driving higher.These calls lock in the price where the stock can be bought no matter how high it might rise. Because they are inexpensive, they can generate significant leverage from even a small movement in the automaker's share price. Ford rose 1.73% to $15.90, its highest price since April 2011. On Wednesday there was also monster buying in the September 16 calls, so upside option paper has clearly been a pattern in this name of late. Calls accounted for 144,000 of the 225,000 Ford contracts that traded in the session. Total option volume was three times greater than normal amounts. Najarian owns F calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV