When you consider the $300 price, you have to realize that it doesn't compare to a $300 Windows laptop -- or for that matter a $1,000 MacBook. When you buy the HP Chromebook, the bottom line is $300. In contrast, when you buy a Windows or Mac, you may be buying additional software or warranties, costing you many hundreds of dollars.
With the HP Chromebook, you are likely using Google Docs/Drive -- which is free. Also, other than those "one in ten thousand" hardware failures, you should have no reason to troubleshoot it. So there is no reason to buy a warranty or ever visit a store to deal with a computer issue. This will save you thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours and lots of headache over the computer's life.
In other words, just like a Tesla.
Where should HP go next with its Chrome OS devices? Let me offer HP some advice:
Create a product family. One 14-inch laptop is good, but also launch 12-, 13- and 15-inch models, plus a desktop PC and all-in-one PCs.
Improve the keyboard and try to match the trackpads from Apple, Samsung and Google.
Offer models with embedded LTE for those of us on the road or paranoid about security.
Increase the size of the battery so that it is at least six to eight hours, preferably 10+.
As soon as Google is ready, HP needs to be the first to offer the Chromephones and Chromepads I described in these two articles on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV