OMAHA, Neb., May 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific today published its 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, underscoring the company's innovations in the areas of environmental stewardship, safe operations, employee well-being, community development and customer value, as well as its commitment to upholding the highest standards of corporate governance and ethics.
"Union Pacific's legacy of delivering the goods upon which Americans depend is rooted in our dedication to serve our customers, employees, communities and shareholders," said Robert W. Turner, Union Pacific senior vice president – Corporate Relations. "Our employees share a responsibility to continue developing sustainable business practices, meeting the growing global demand for freight transportation solutions, while preserving our environment, strengthening our communities and being an employer of choice."
Following are highlights of Union Pacific's 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, which is available in PDF and HTML formats at www.up.com.
- Union Pacific's customers eliminated an estimated 33.5 million metric tons of greenhouse gases by moving their products by rail instead of truck.
- The company diverted from landfills an estimated 75 percent of its waste.
- The railroad recycled more than 4.2 million gallons of oil and fuel.
- Union Pacific purchased 200 new fuel-efficient locomotives, replacing older, less fuel-efficient units.
- Employees achieved an all-time safety record for the fifth consecutive year.
- Customer satisfaction results reached a record high.
- Union Pacific promoted rail safety through paid media campaigns that reached an audience of more than 73 million people, and community outreach activities and training that connected with 704,000 people.
- The company hired approximately 3,900 employees, including more than 900 military veterans.
- Union Pacific increased its spending with women- and minority-owned suppliers by 16 percent compared to 2011.
- Union Pacific purchased goods or services from more than 500 diverse suppliers in 39 states.
- Union Pacific supported more than 2,500 non-profit organizations.
- Fortune named Union Pacific the most admired among trucking, transportation and logistics companies for the third consecutive year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV