- Union Pacific's customers eliminated an estimated 33.5 million metric tons of greenhouse gases by moving their products by rail instead of truck.
- The company diverted from landfills an estimated 75 percent of its waste.
- The railroad recycled more than 4.2 million gallons of oil and fuel.
- Union Pacific purchased 200 new fuel-efficient locomotives, replacing older, less fuel-efficient units.
- Employees achieved an all-time safety record for the fifth consecutive year.
- Customer satisfaction results reached a record high.
- Union Pacific promoted rail safety through paid media campaigns that reached an audience of more than 73 million people, and community outreach activities and training that connected with 704,000 people.
- The company hired approximately 3,900 employees, including more than 900 military veterans.
- Union Pacific increased its spending with women- and minority-owned suppliers by 16 percent compared to 2011.
- Union Pacific purchased goods or services from more than 500 diverse suppliers in 39 states.
- Union Pacific supported more than 2,500 non-profit organizations.
- Fortune named Union Pacific the most admired among trucking, transportation and logistics companies for the third consecutive year.
Union Pacific Publishes 2012 Sustainability And Citizenship Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.