Shareholders of Acacia Research Corp (ACTG) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $27.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.25 bid, which annualizes to an additional 14.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $27.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ACTG shares would have to advance 11% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 20.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.
In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Acacia Research Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for ACTG below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.5% annualized dividend yield.
Below is a chart showing ACTG's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $27.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $27.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $27.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Acacia Research Corp (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $24.90) to be 57%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ACTG Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 1.16M contracts, with call volume at 2.12M, for a put:call ratio of 0.55 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts