NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stephanie Link, the co-portfolio manager of the charitable trust Action Alerts Plus she runs with Jim Cramer, told TheStreet's Lindsey Bell more investors are rotating into the financial sector.
Link believes that it is very encouraging to see the financial sector lead the markets higher because it shows that the economy is actually growing. She also thinks if the financial sector can continue at this pace, the broader markets go "another leg higher."
With "rates starting to rise and the steepening of the yield curve, these companies [will] become much more profitable," she told Bell.
Asked which financial stocks to put your money into, Link told Bell investors should stay diversified. The financial sector is big and therefore gives you plenty of room to diversify your holdings between regional banks, insurance and credit cards, she explained.Specifically, Link mentioned JPMorgan Chase (JPM) because it has underperformed its peers for the year to date, in part because of the criticism of CEO Jamie Dimon. But with that over now, she believes that the stock will begin to "play some catch-up." She also likes Wells Fargo (WFC) for its positive operation leverage, as well as KeyCorp (KEY) and Hartford Financial Services (HIG). JPM, WFC, KEY and HIG are Action Alerts holdings. Asked about other names on Link's radar, she told Bell that while they seem overbought now, Discover Financial (DFS) and American Express (AXP) are on her watchlist.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV