What's next? Meker believes the next "big thing" will be computer devices we wear - what she calls "Wearables/Drivables/Flyables/Scannables. Small, sensor-enabled devices which will change the way we do almost everything in the future. Google Glass is one of the first. And there are many companies working on computer-driven cars, low-cost drone mini-planes (for everything from farming to disaster relief) to the next generation of "smart tags", QR codes and stickers which are beginning to show up nearly everywhere and on everything.
Towards the end of the presentation, Meeker gave the scariest prediction of all. She said that while the United States trains many of the brilliant technology minds as sum as they're done with their studies we send these experts back where they came from. She pointed out that we should find a way to keep those well-trained students here to make sure the United States leads the world in developing the next big thing.
You can see Meeker's entire presentation here. It's quite fascinating.
--Written by Gary Krakow in New York.>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV