Updated from 11:10 a.m. ET with settlement prices
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Gold prices jumped on Thursday to close at its highest level in two weeks as investors turned to the yellow metal for its safe-haven appeal amid softer than expected economic data.
Gold for August delivery at the COMEX division of the CME popped $20.20 to $1,412. The gold price traded as high as $1,417.70 and as low as $1,388.40 an ounce, while the spot price was adding $21.60, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold last closed above $1,400 an ounce on May 14."The gold bulls are showing some resilience at lower price levels; if we can push prices higher from here you are probably going to see a bullish technical formation," Jim Wyckoff, a senior analyst at Kitco.com, said in an interview. "You're seeing some resilience that's keeping a floor under the market." The Bureau of Economic Analysis said its second estimate of first-quarter U.S. gross domestic product rose year-over-year by 2.4%, which was a 0.1 percentage point dip from the initial reading. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting the revision to remain unchanged at 2.5%. The Labor Department also reported weaker-than-expected data as initial jobless claims for the week ended May 25 rose 10,000 to 354,000. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting claims to increase to just 340,000. "Third jobless claims rise in four weeks is a help to allay fears of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV