HOPKINTON, Mass., May 30, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) today announced an expanded capital allocation strategy that reflects the company's confidence in its long-term business prospects and ability to generate consistent revenue and non-GAAP EPS growth while expanding its commitment to return capital to shareholders.
As part of the strategy, EMC's Board of Directors has increased its authorization to repurchase EMC common stock from $1 billion in 2013 to $6 billion over the three-year period ending December 31, 2015. Within this authorization, EMC expects to repurchase $3.5 billion of its common stock by the end of Q2 2014; this amount includes the $500 million EMC has spent on buybacks in 2013 to date.
Additionally, the EMC Board has approved the initiation of a quarterly cash dividend to EMC shareholders. The first quarterly dividend of $0.10 per share of common stock will be paid on July 23, 2013 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on July 1, 2013.
EMC also intends to add debt to its capital structure in the near term, while continuing to maintain a strong investment-grade profile and a balance sheet that provides the financial flexibility to pursue its strategic objectives.Executive Quotes: Joe Tucci, EMC Chairman and CEO "EMC has a long track record of creating value by aggressively investing in the business. Looking forward, the opportunity for EMC's continued success has never been better. Our strategy focused on Cloud Computing, Big Data and Trusted IT has been embraced by customers and the market, and we continue to execute extremely well. This, combined with our financial strength, enables us to continue to invest wisely in promising opportunities and also expand returns to shareholders." David Goulden, EMC President and Chief Operating Officer "Our confidence in EMC's business model and the strength of our operational performance and free cash flow enable us to expand our capital allocation strategy in meaningful and lasting ways. We are pleased to be able to augment the strategic investments in our business with increased returns to shareholders. Shareholders will benefit from what we've announced today and share in our ongoing success through our long-term plan to return approximately 50% of EMC (excluding VMware) free cash flow through a combination of buybacks and dividends." Business Outlook: The net effect of today's announcement is not expected to have a material impact on EMC's business outlook with regard to consolidated revenue, non-GAAP earnings per weighted average diluted share (EPS) and free cash flow for 2013, which remain as stated on April 24, 2013. Additional Resources:
- A Webcast detailing today's news will be held today at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time at www.emc.com/ir.
- Visit EMC Pulse, EMC's product and technology news blog
- Connect with EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV