BEDMINSTER, N.J. and DUBLIN, Ireland, May 30, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Amarin Corporation plc (Nasdaq:AMRN), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the commercialization and development of therapeutics to improve cardiovascular health, today presented additional data on Vascepa® (icosapent ethyl) and its effect on lipoprotein particle concentration from the Phase 3 ANCHOR study at the National Lipid Association (NLA) 2013 Annual Scientific Session in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The data presentation titled, "Effects of Icosapent Ethyl on Lipoprotein Particle Concentration and the Fatty Acid Desaturation Index in Statin-treated Patients with Persistent High Triglycerides (the ANCHOR Study)", reported that Vascepa 4 g/day, when added to optimized statin therapy for 12 weeks, significantly reduced median particle concentrations of total very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) by 12.2%, total low-density lipoprotein (LDL) by 7.7%, and small LDL particles by 13.5% across the 12 week treatment period, compared with placebo.
The ANCHOR study, authored by Christie M. Ballantyne, M.D. and colleagues, investigated Vascepa as a treatment for high triglycerides (≥200 and <500mg/dL) in 702 patients with mixed dyslipidemia (two or more lipid disorders) on optimized background statin therapy who were at LDL-C (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol) goal, and who were also at high risk of cardiovascular disease. The original results, which were presented at the American Heart Association in 2011, highlighted that Vascepa 4 g/day demonstrated a significant median reduction in triglyceride levels, the primary endpoint, of 21.5%, as well as a significant median reduction in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) of 6.2%, compared to the group of patients on optimized statin therapy and placebo.Amarin also presented, or provided financial support for, research surrounding three additional topics at this year's NLA meeting, including:
- pharmacokinetic data showing the lack of drug-drug interaction when Vascepa was administered with atorvastatin, a commonly prescribed cholesterol lowering medication
- pharmacokinetic data showing the lack of drug-drug interaction when Vascepa was administered with warfarin, a commonly prescribed anticoagulant medication
- eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and its potential inhibition of the formation of membrane cholesterol crystalline domains
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV