Lunch and Snack HabitsControlling portions and calorie counts can be a challenge if most of your food intake during the workday is from takeout. Over half (54 percent) of workers go out to eat instead of packing a lunch at least once a week, and a quarter (24 percent) eat out three or more times a week. Eight percent say they eat lunch out of the vending machine at least once a week, while 70 percent of workers snack during the day.
Exercise HabitsWhile over half of workers feel they are overweight, three in five (59 percent) say they work out on a regular basis, with 45 percent hitting the gym at least three times a week. Forty-two percent of workers get their workout in after clocking out for the day, compared to 16 percent working out before going to the office and 8 percent exercising during lunch. Thirty percent say they exercise, but not regularly, and 11 percent don't exercise at all.
Three in ten workers said their companies provide wellness benefits such as workout facilities or gym passes. Of these workers, 36 percent take advantage of them.
Tips for Staying FitIn addition to maintaining a healthy diet and steady workout routine during the workweek, Haefner recommends the following tips to stay fit this summer:
- Take Walks - Get off the bus or train at an earlier stop and walk the remaining distance. Take the stairs at work, go for a stroll on your lunch hour, walk over to someone's desk instead of sending an email – the key is to increase activity throughout the day.
- Stay Hydrated – Drinking water not only makes you feel full, it can also help cut down on calories from sugary drinks.
- Pack a Lunch - Packing your lunch is an easy way to choose a healthy option and control your portion sizes.
- Try Fruit or Veggies - Keep some of your favorite healthy snacks in the break room refrigerator so you'll be less tempted to go to the vending machine.
- Keep a Food Journal – It helps you keep track of calories and identify peak snacking times, so you can modify behavior.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV