I reiterated my buy call, but that wasn't the only reason for discussing Halcon with Jim. The case of Halcon holds a few good lessons about investing in very speculative stocks.
First, the fundamental reason for the decline: Halcon reported the initial production profile for two major wells it is drilling in the Utica basin and they were a disappointment, with one returning 730 barrels of oil equivalent a day and the other yielding 1,652 Boe/d. Expectations were for one of these wells to yield closer to 2,000 Boe/d, although another well in the Southwestern Marcellus shale play had a more adequate result.
While the report was disappointing it was hardly disastrous and yet the stock cratered, dropping more than 50 cents a share last Thursday. This is the first takeaway from trading speculative stocks: There is a natural overreaction to bad news in the share price (as there is often an equally overdone reaction to good news when there is some).I have bought more shares at the now-lower price and remain convinced that Halcon is an interesting investment but I have hardly bet the farm on it; that is the second takeaway from trading speculative stocks -- only invest as much as you are willing to lose. I talk more about Halcon with Jim in the video above. At the time of publication the author had a position in HK. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV