Siemens and GE are less leveraged to the space but should come out as the biggest winners in terms of market volume. Siemens calls its systems SieStorage, using lithium-ion batteries that ship in storage containers. GE Energy is working on similar systems.
Last week's Energy Storage Association meeting in Santa Clara featured two smaller companies -- S&C Electric of Chicago and AES Energy Storage, whose parent owns utilities in the Midwest, as lead sponsors.
Instead of theoretical discussions, Eric Wesoff of The Energy Collective writes, the focus instead was on lessons learned from pilot programs, integration with solar and wind power, the need for big data analytics, and for standards. They were practical questions, which he called "a noticeable step forward."
Speaking in Atlanta recently, the Department of Energy's point man on this, Imre Gyuk, said power outages cost the U.S. economy $79 billion a year, in an energy market worth $250 billion. He said the market needs 200 kilowatts of storage for each megawatt of power. Certainly that's worth $10 billion.At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV