OMAHA, Neb., May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Union Pacific Railroad today announced a grant program for community railroad safety initiatives. Grants ranging from $500 to $5,000 will be provided to support initiatives that enhance railroad safety in Union Pacific communities.
Union Pacific is committed to working collaboratively with communities to encourage safe behavior around railroad tracks. The railroad's new grant program furthers this commitment by funding initiatives that raise awareness of railroad safety and empower communities to be active railroad safety participants. The online grant application, available at UnionPacificCares.com, provides organizations the opportunity to explain how they plan to use grant funding, the safety initiative's goals, who the initiative will reach and how success will be measured.
Grant-funded initiatives may include, but are not limited to:
- School safety days
- Community safety programs
- Grade crossing education efforts
- Law enforcement activities
- Railroad safety advocacy
- Grade crossing education and enforcement, during which motorists violating rail crossing signage and laws are educated about the dangers of such actions. Related "positive enforcement" initiatives reward drivers who operate safely at grade crossings.
- Safety trains, hosting local law enforcement, media and public officials and providing them the opportunity to ride in the locomotive cab and see traffic violations from a locomotive engineer's point of view. This also allows Union Pacific to connect with community leaders and help them better understand the railroad's safety focus.
- Communication blitzes, which educate the public via community events, media outreach and paid advertising. Media outreach coincides with safety trains in UP communities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV