May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On
Saturday, June 1, 2013, Carowinds kicks off their 40
th anniversary summer celebration with a birthday party packed full of fun - and cake, the largest ever served on the state line!
When it debuted in 1973, Carowinds was located in the small city of
Charlotte and the smaller town of
Fort Mill, SC. In the last forty years as the metropolitan areas have grown and evolved, so has the park. Its original size of 73 acres has grown to 398 of rides and attractions, including 13 world class coasters, most of which travel at speeds, heights and curves that were unimaginable back in 1973. Four original rides continue to entertain visitors today: The Scrambler, The Carolina Goldrusher coaster, Snoopy's Junction train, and the iconic Carolina Skytower.
Carowinds opened for daily operation on
June 2, 1973, to an enthusiastic crowd. They enjoyed the day in their bellbottoms and mini skirts and have been coming to enjoy the park's thrills, shows and attractions ever since!
Join us as we celebrate our history and look forward to many more decades of fun!
- Price of admission on this special 40th anniversary day? Well, $40 of course!
- Ceremonial ribbon cutting with two people who were with us opening day-
, Carowinds' first official visitor, and
Connie Dorn Rist
– Fort Mill High School marching band opens the park and helps us sing happy birthday as we cut and share our giant birthday cake free for the first 400 visitors!
– We don't often have a book signing, but when we do the book is about us! Carowinds worked with Arcadia Publishing to commemorate our anniversary season with a beautiful historical collection of photos documenting four decades of thrills!
-The party keeps going with the crew from V101.9 fm! They're leading the evening portion of our birthday bash with a performance by the Purple All Star Steppers and a summertime dance party!
- The World's Largest Soul Train Line (how cool is that?!)
- Boom! Pop! Ooooh and Ahhhhh! We wrap up the celebration with fireworks coordinated to light up the night with the biggest hits of 1973!
It's not every day we turn 40, so we'll be celebrating all summer long!
- Special next-day ticket price through the entire month of June. Didn't get to squeeze in all your fun on your first day? Come back the next day for only $19.73.
- The Marvelous Mutts, these talented canines will amaze you with their tricks and speed! June 10-16 at the Intimidator infield
- King BMX Show, riders entertain audiences with their high-flying stunts, flips and power! June 27-30 in Cobra Plaza
- Gradfest, a graduation celebration with dance parties, concerts and more June 14
- Return to Pirate Island, Argh Matey! Get ready to set forth with the little ones on a trip for buried treasure and more! Boomerang Bay July 8-14,
- Lunch with the Peanuts Gang, interactive character meal puts you at the head of the table!In our Rose Room VIP venue July 15-19.
Check it all out at
Over the last four decades Carowinds has become a major tourism destination in both North and
. The park has provided thousands of jobs and entertained millions of visitors. In researching the history of the park, we came across a wonderful sentiment written by the marketing staff of 1973; they were submitting an entry for a tourism competition and wrote of Carowinds future, "Carowinds will contine to be a living, growing part of the Carolinas. As long as children smile, and flags unfurl in the warm Carolina breezes." We couldn't have said it better ourselves-
Happy Birthday, Carowinds!
Carowinds is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Carowinds, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in
under a management contract.
Vintage photos and materials available.