May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The following statement is for attribution to
Guy L. Smith, Executive Vice President, Diageo North America:
"Almost ten years ago – in December 2003 – Diageo led the industry when it stood with a coalition of consumer and public health advocates to publicly call on US regulators to allow Serving Fact information to be displayed on beverage alcohol products. Today, we are proud to celebrate a victory on behalf of the American public. The Alcohol Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) granted the industry permission late yesterday to voluntarily label our beer, wine and spirits products with the serving size, number of servings per container, alcohol per serving, number of calories, and number of grams of carbohydrates, protein and fat per serving.
"While there is still work to be done, this action by TTB, coupled with a recent FTC ruling on labeling, is a stunning leap forward for consumers who have a clear right to know what is in their drink. It is important to note that prior to this ruling by the TTB, It was illegal for an alcohol manufacturer to list these basic serving facts about alcohol products on the packaging. Simply put, this common-sense ruling will allow us to bring our products in line with all other consumable products that include Serving Fact information on all of their labels. This information is important in helping consumers make informed and responsible decisions.
"We want to acknowledge the more than 70 consumer and public health groups that stood with us in support of labeling in 2003, and specifically mention the National Consumers League and the Center for Science in the Public Interest who supported this important initiative from the very first days. We are proud that today is the day when we can finally say: Consumers wanted it, common sense demanded it, and Diageo fought for it."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV