Rival Google licenses its own software for set-top TV boxes and just like Apple's device, Google TV models (made by a number of different manufacturers) have gotten off to a very slow start. Apple TV's biggest competitor is Roku. The small, California company has reportedly sold about 5 million units to date. Some Roku boxes now run cable TV apps ( Time Warner (TWC)) in addition to other third-party games and streaming video sources. Unlike Apple, Roku markets no other hardware and can't depend on cross-promotion with other products to boost sales.
Cook said they're still playing with their Apple TV product. He said he knows the "TV experience could be better". He refused to say whether he thought ISPs (Internet Service Providers) and content providers have been holding back the success of the product. It could be a big part of his demonstration at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference beginning on June 10th.
--Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV