WEST CALDWELL, N.J., May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota announced today the launch of the first Prius MPG Challenge rewarding environmentally-conscious, charitable organizations in the tri-state area with contributions totaling $20,000.
The Challenge – which consists of five separate waves of competition, each with up to eight challengers – awards those participants garnering the highest overall MPG over the course of a 30-day period. It kicks off with an event today in West Caldwell, N.J., to hand off vehicles to the first wave of challengers.
Participants will borrow a Prius Plug-in for 30 days. To be eligible to win, challengers must drive a minimum of 500 miles total and 75 miles each week. The highest overall MPG according to the Prius' trip computer per 30-day challenge wins a $2,500 contribution, with second-place finisher earning $1,000 and the third-place finisher winning $500. All participating companies will also receive a $200 gas card.
"We see the MPG Challenge as a way to make environmental education fun," said David Christ, general manager of Toyota's New York Region. "By tapping regional organizations, we're able to engage at a local level while demonstrating the Toyota Prius Plug-In's ability to improve the lives of our fellow community members."The first wave of ecologically-conscious organizations participating as MPG Challengers includes:
- The Greyston Foundation, a Yonkers-based network of for-profit and not-for-profit entities providing life services and work opportunities to low-income individuals and families, including the bakery that exclusively supplies brownies to Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
- Greater Mercer TMA, a non-profit, public private partnership dedicated to reducing traffic congestion, decreasing air pollution and improving mobility in and around Mercer and Ocean County, N.J.
- Bloomfield College, an independent, four-year college in Bloomfield, N.J., that prepares students to attain academic, personal and professional excellence in a multicultural and global society
- RYASAP, a Bridgeport, Conn.-based non-profit that serves as a catalyst in communities to ensure the safe and healthy development of youth, young adults and families
- The Center of United Methodist Aid to the Community Ecumenically Concerned Helping Others (CUMAC/ECHO), which works to alleviate hunger and its root causes in Paterson, Passaic County and northern N.J.
- Glamourgals, a national organization that creates teen volunteer chapters providing companionship and complimentary beauty makeovers to women living in senior homes.
- The Helping Hands Food Pantry, a donation-run group established by a local councilman and minister in Teaneck, N.J., that provides free, supplemental groceries to needy residents
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PriusPlugInMpgChallenge
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/priuspluginmpg
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/pluginforcharity
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV