Pixar has proved to be a money printing machine and if Disney didn't acquire it, they probably wouldn't be where they are today. Disney didn't stop there, acquiring Marvel in 2009 and Lucasﬁlm in 2012.
The Marvel takeover paid obvious dividends with the Iron Man trilogy andThe Avengers having tremendous box ofﬁce success. Marvel has plenty of gas left, with Captain AmericaThe Avengers 2 and Man of Steel (Superman) still left to debut.
The $4 billion deal for Lucasﬁlm was done for one obvious reason: Star Wars. Iger wanted to continue the saga and saw it as a huge opportunity, both on the big screen and on television, (don't forget, Disney runs the ABC network).
Although investors seemed skeptical at ﬁrst about potentially overpaying, which was obvious in the price action after the deal was first announced, they seem to have faith in Iger. The first Star Wars film is due out in the summer of 2015.Toss in the four movies Disney's Pixar division has planned between now and 2015 and you start to realize that there's lot of upside left. Also don't forget Disney's deal with Netﬂix. Towards the end of 2012, it was announced that Netﬂix would begin streaming the following Disney partners on their platform: Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios and Disneynature.
While the financial terms were not disclosed, investors know that Disney received favorable terms if they dropped Starz for it. Let's put it this way, Disney didn't get the short end of the stick. If content is king, then Disney has the castle. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . At the time of publication the author is long DIS. Follow @traderboy23 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV