NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Thursday, May 30:
1. -- U.S. stock futures are pointing to a higher open Thursday ahead of reports on U.S. economic growth and the labor and housing markets.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. Thursday includes weekly initial jobless claims at 8:30 a.m. EDT, the second estimate of first-quarter GDP at 8:30 a.m., and pending home sales at 10 a.m.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Wednesday pulled back on concern the Federal Reserve's decision to scale back its stimulus program may take place sooner than expected, and as the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development lowered its outlook for global growth.
4. -- Dish Network (DISH) raised its buyout bid for Clearwire (CLWR) to $4.40 a share, valuing the wireless network operator at $6.9 billion, and topping a bid from Sprint (S). Dish's bid is 29% higher than Sprint's bid of $3.40 a share. Sprint owns a little more than 50% of Clearwire. Sprint raised its bid for Clearwire last week. Clearwire's board had recommended that shareholders vote in favor of Sprint's bid before Dish's latest offer. Clearwire shareholders are meeting Friday to vote on the deal.
5. -- Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A) energy subsidiary MidAmerican Energy is buying Las Vegas utility NV Energy (NVE) for $23.75 a share in cash for an enterprise value of about $10 billion.
6. -- Moody's downgraded Alcoa's (AA) credit rating into junk status on Wednesday, citing lower aluminum prices.
7. -- Costco (COST), the warehouse retailer, said Thursday it earned $459 million, or $1.04 a share, in its fiscal third quarter, up from year-earlier earnings of $386 million, or 88 cents a share. Analysts were expecting Costco to post earnings of $1.03 a share.
8. -- GE Capital Chief Michael A. Neal is expected to step down as early as this summer, and parent company General Electric (GE) is evaluating potential successors, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV