SINGAPORE, May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Global travel technology company Sabre, and Expedia, Inc., (NASDAQ: EXPE) the world's largest travel company, have expanded their global technology partnership into Asia. Expedia's online business in Singapore and Malaysia is now powered by Sabre's technology, providing online shoppers with some of the broadest and most competitively-priced travel options in the region.
The expanded agreement sees Expedia tap into a wide range of technology services from Sabre, including its leading online fare search technology and access to global travel supplier content from both Sabre and Abacus, the leading global distribution provider (GDS) in Asia, partly owned by Sabre. The unique combination of technology helps Expedia meet its promise to provide the best travel experience to consumers.
Greg Schulze, SVP Global Tour & Transport, Expedia, Inc., said, "Sabre is a long-standing global partner who has played an important role in helping us grow our scale around the world. Our partnership in Asia is driven by a mutual desire to provide consumers exactly what they want – access to well-priced travel options, accessible anywhere and everywhere."Greg Webb, President of Sabre Travel Network said, "We have large teams around the world whose only job is to obsess over our low fare search algorithms. And they work with partners like Expedia to continuously bring all this technology to the marketplace so consumers always get the best search results. Agencies in Asia tend to be early adopters of technology so it's perfect for Sabre, Abacus and Expedia to work together to bring emerging technologies to willing travelers." Sabre and Expedia established their partnership in 2005 in North America, and have since expanded into Latin America and now Asia. Sabre Travel Network provides technology services to the travel industry. It operates the world's largest travel marketplace, connecting travel buyers and sellers through the Sabre global distribution system (GDS). Its innovative technology connects 370,000 travel agents to more than 400 airlines, 100,000 hotels, 25 car rental brands, 50 rail providers, 13 cruise lines and other global travel suppliers. More than $100 billion of travel is purchased through this marketplace annually. Sabre Travel Network is part of Sabre Holdings, a global travel technology company serving the world's largest industry- travel and tourism. For more information please visit: www.sabretravelnetwork.com. About The Expedia group The Expedia group is the largest online travel company in the world, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes some of the world's leading online travel brands, including:
- Expedia.com®, the world's largest full service online travel agency, with localized sites in 30 countries
- Hotels.com®, the hotel specialist with sites in more than 60 countries
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers opaque deals in 11 countries on its 10 sites in North America, Europe and Asia
- Egencia®, the world's fifth largest corporate travel management company
- eLong™, the second largest online travel company in China
- Venere.com™, the online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- trivago®, a leading online hotel search company with sites in 33 countries
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of in-market concierge services, activities and experiences in 18 markets worldwide
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, one of North America's leading retail cruise vacation experts