By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Buyers jumped into Ford (F) early Tuesday, betting that it still has fuel in the tank.
Option activity has been red hot in the automaker, with more than 140,000 calls trading Tuesday against fewer than 35,000 puts. The 15.50 Weekly calls expiring this Friday led out of the gate and remained active all session, with contracts going for 8 cents, 9 cents and 11 cents. More than 18,000 of those traded in volume far above the previous open interest of 1,751 contracts, indicating new positions, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems.
Calls lock in the purchase price for the stock, which is already up 12% in the last month, and they can generate some nice leverage if the stock keeps running. Because these options expire at the end of this week, the traders are clearly banking on a quick move.Ford shares rose 3.31% to $15.28 Tuesday. The name has been on our screening systems a lot recently, with some fast and furious buying. Total option volume was almost triple its daily average Tuesday. Najarian owns F calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV