NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I sat down today to talk about high flying stock SolarCity (SCTY) today with Joe Deaux. TheStreet's energy editor. Solar City has become a great trading stock because of the justified hype surrounding one of its main backers, Tesla (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk.
But is it a great investment? That's the question I tried to answer for Joe in the video above. In a fundamental case for valuation, there is nothing that can justify SolarCity's extreme $2.6 billion market cap with only a yearly revenue stream of about $15 million. Indeed, in the last quarterly report, losses from SolarCity even eclipsed the worst fears of analysts surpassing $100 million.
Yet, the stock continues to soar. All of this is because of the prophetic Elon Musk, who founded and sold PayPal to eBay (EBAY) for an astounding $2.1 billion as well as selling his second company, SpaceX, to NASA. It is rare in a generation to see a visionary like Elon Musk, and that wild card makes all the fundamentals of stock analysis somewhat moot in assessing whether SolarCity is in fact a good long term investment.
I talk more about SolarCity and Elon Musk with Joe in the video above.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV