Updated from 11:16 a.m. ET with settlement prices.
Gold for June delivery at the COMEX division of the CME closed off $7.70 to settle at $1,378.90 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,401 and as low as $1,372.10 an ounce, while the spot price was dipping $4.10, according to Kitco's gold index.
The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index jumped to 76.2 in May, up from 69 in April, to post its highest point in five years.Gold also slipped as investors moved into equities, which were surging more than 1% and nearing all-time highs. "A lot of people think on equities that new high is going to be breached . . . so, still no reason to hold gold with very little inflation," said Phil Streible, a senior commodities broker at RJO Futures. Silver prices for July delivery ticked lower by 30 cents to $22.19 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was climbing 0.54% to $84.11. Prices received a slight boost when the S&P/Case-Shiller 20-city home price index posted a March increase of 10.9%, up from 9.3% in February. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting prices to rise by 10.2%. The brief increase in gold on the housing news occurred because the larger-than-expected upswing in home prices suggests an upswing in inflationary pressure. Gold mining stocks were mixed on Tuesday. Shares of Kinross Gold (KGC) were falling 2.8%, while shares of NovaGold Resources (NG) were adding 2.2%. Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was down incrementally at $19.16 a share. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was sliding 0.17% to $133.53, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was down 0.3% to $13.41. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV