It's been a good year for Estee Lauder (EL). The New York-based firm has seen its share price climb 20% since the start of the year, besting the broad market's already impressive performance over that same time.
Estee Lauder is a cosmetics and fragrance manufacturer that owns a handful of other well-known beauty brands: EL's portfolio includes popular names like Clinique in addition to mall staples M-A-C and Origins. That's enough makeup power to give EL a 25% share of the world's high-end cosmetics market, a segment that's managed to hold up surprisingly well in spite of the global slowdown in consumer discretionary spending.Today, more than half of EL's sales come from overseas, particularly in developed countries. But like other established names today, the big growth opportunity for Estee Lauder comes from a burgeoning middle class in emerging markets. Revenues have already eclipsed pre-recession highs, and the firm looks well positioned to keep is growth pace up in 2013. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV