Twenty young Canadians will receive up to $1.4 million for their vision and community leadership
May 28, 2013
/CNW/ - In recognition of the next generations' great leaders, TD has awarded twenty students with a TD Scholarship for Community Leadership valued at up to
per student. Students who earned the prestigious scholarship demonstrated their dedication to various causes including education reform, poverty reduction plans, anti-bullying campaigns and gender equality.
"Allowing these students to continue their work by helping them with their post-secondary tuition is something that we're very proud to do at TD," says
, Group Head, Direct Channels, Corporate Shared Services, Marketing & People Strategies, TD Bank Group. "Each and every one of them has already made a positive impact on their community and we believe they will continue play a significant role in social change and growth across
Recipients of this year's scholarship will be honoured at a national ceremony held in
June 6, 2013
. To foster the next wave of thinking, recipients will have the opportunity to meet their fellow TD Scholarship winners as well as Scholarship alumni to share their ideas and worldviews on how to make
Here are some of the notable achievements of the 2013 TD Scholarships for Community Leadership recipients:
- To help foster motivation and engagement among minority groups at school, Nike Valeus ( Scarborough, ON) started a Broadcast Club. More recently, he established his school's African Student Alliance to support students of African descent. Nike has also been a participant in the Pathways to Education program since grade nine.
- Zachary Julian ( Truro, NS) is active in Millbrook RCMP youth group and is a presenter for alcohol and drug prevention workshops. He also started an all-First Nations lacrosse team east of Quebec. Following his success, other First Nations communities in Nova Scotia are now looking into developing similar lacrosse programs.
- Kush Thaker ( Markham, ON) is co-chair of the Markham Mayor's Youth Task Force. In that role he has reached out to get elementary school students involved in the community and hosted the Markham Youth Expo, which is a youth-led talent festival.
Now in its 18
year, the TD Scholarships for Community Leadership are awarded to students in their last year of high school or CEGEP who have demonstrated leadership in improving their community. The scholarship includes up to
for living expenses per year. In addition, recipients are guaranteed summer employment at TD as well as mentorship and networking opportunities. .
TD Scholarships for Community Leadership - 2013 Recipients
- SELIN JESSA, Coquitlam, BC
- KATHLEEN IRWIN, London, ON
- DANIEL SKANES, St John's, NL
- HODA MAHDI, Markham, ON
- MACKENZIE MARTIN, Edmonton, AB
- ZACHARY JULIAN, Truro, NS
- SHANNON WONG, Richmond Hill, ON
- INNOSAR ISSAKIARK, Arviat, NU
- ALEX VANDAL-MILETTE, Ste-Victoire-de-Sorel, QC
- JESSICA PETERS, Brampton, ON
- NIYOUSHA BASTANI, North Vancouver, BC
- CRYSTAL GAO, Toronto, ON
- RITA STEELE, Vancouver, BC
- KUSH THAKER, Markham, ON
- MADLEN NASH, Salt Spring Island, BC
- NIKE VALEUS, Scarborough, ON
- JOCELYN DAVIS, Calgary, AB
- MADDIE HUGHES, Canning, NS
- HAILEY LAXER, Ville St. Laurent, QC
- ANNE-LOU MCNEIL GAUTHIER, Montreal, QC
To date TD Bank Group has contributed over
to TD Scholarships for Community Leadership.
For more information about this year's recipients, as well as eligibility and application details for the TD Scholarships for Community Leadership, visit
TD Community Giving
TD invests in communities to make a positive impact where it does business and where our customers, clients and employees live and work. In 2012, TD donated over
to support community organizations in
the United States
, we focus on Education and Financial Literacy, Creating Opportunities for Young People, and the Environment. For more information, please visit:
SOURCE TD Bank Group