Twenty young Canadians will receive up to $1.4 million for their vision and community leadership
TORONTO, May 28, 2013 /CNW/ - In recognition of the next generations' great leaders, TD has awarded twenty students with a TD Scholarship for Community Leadership valued at up to $70,000 per student. Students who earned the prestigious scholarship demonstrated their dedication to various causes including education reform, poverty reduction plans, anti-bullying campaigns and gender equality.
"Allowing these students to continue their work by helping them with their post-secondary tuition is something that we're very proud to do at TD," says Teri Currie, Group Head, Direct Channels, Corporate Shared Services, Marketing & People Strategies, TD Bank Group. "Each and every one of them has already made a positive impact on their community and we believe they will continue play a significant role in social change and growth across Canada."
Recipients of this year's scholarship will be honoured at a national ceremony held in Toronto on June 6, 2013. To foster the next wave of thinking, recipients will have the opportunity to meet their fellow TD Scholarship winners as well as Scholarship alumni to share their ideas and worldviews on how to make Canada's future brighter.Here are some of the notable achievements of the 2013 TD Scholarships for Community Leadership recipients:
- To help foster motivation and engagement among minority groups at school, Nike Valeus ( Scarborough, ON) started a Broadcast Club. More recently, he established his school's African Student Alliance to support students of African descent. Nike has also been a participant in the Pathways to Education program since grade nine.
- Zachary Julian ( Truro, NS) is active in Millbrook RCMP youth group and is a presenter for alcohol and drug prevention workshops. He also started an all-First Nations lacrosse team east of Quebec. Following his success, other First Nations communities in Nova Scotia are now looking into developing similar lacrosse programs.
- Kush Thaker ( Markham, ON) is co-chair of the Markham Mayor's Youth Task Force. In that role he has reached out to get elementary school students involved in the community and hosted the Markham Youth Expo, which is a youth-led talent festival.
- SELIN JESSA, Coquitlam, BC
- KATHLEEN IRWIN, London, ON
- DANIEL SKANES, St John's, NL
- HODA MAHDI, Markham, ON
- MACKENZIE MARTIN, Edmonton, AB
- ZACHARY JULIAN, Truro, NS
- SHANNON WONG, Richmond Hill, ON
- INNOSAR ISSAKIARK, Arviat, NU
- ALEX VANDAL-MILETTE, Ste-Victoire-de-Sorel, QC
- JESSICA PETERS, Brampton, ON
- NIYOUSHA BASTANI, North Vancouver, BC
- CRYSTAL GAO, Toronto, ON
- RITA STEELE, Vancouver, BC
- KUSH THAKER, Markham, ON
- MADLEN NASH, Salt Spring Island, BC
- NIKE VALEUS, Scarborough, ON
- JOCELYN DAVIS, Calgary, AB
- MADDIE HUGHES, Canning, NS
- HAILEY LAXER, Ville St. Laurent, QC
- ANNE-LOU MCNEIL GAUTHIER, Montreal, QC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV