AUSTIN, Texas, May 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Whole Foods Market is celebrating Hemp History Week June 3-9 by spotlighting more than 300 hemp products, ranging from non-dairy milks and cereals to soaps and supplements.
Hemp is an environmentally sustainable ingredient used to make a wide variety of foods, paper, clothing, body care products, building materials and fuel. The crop originated in Central Asia thousands of years ago and was brought to North America in the 1600s, where Canada now acts as the main supplier to the United States market. Hemp functions as a nutritional powerhouse and is loaded with digestible protein, dietary fiber and vitamin E.
"It is encouraging to witness the growing demand for hemp products," said Errol Schweizer, global grocery coordinator for Whole Foods Market. "We have seen a tremendous increase in products made with this nutritious, wholesome ingredient over the last five years. We are committed to offering our shoppers a wide array of the highest quality hemp products in our grocery and body care departments."Whole Foods Market offers a variety of hemp products, including: hemp milk, cereals, granola, waffles, protein powders, nutrition bars, breads, snacks, chips, pastas, flour, vegetarian burgers and a large variety of personal care products including supplements, lotions, makeup and shampoos. Products will be prominently featured throughout the store and with special displays during Hemp History Week including:
- Dr. Bronner's – Liquid and Bar Soaps with Organic Hemp Oil
- Living Harvest – Tempt Hempmilk, Frozen Hemp Ice Cream Pints and Frozen Novelties
- Manitoba Harvest – Hemp Hearts, Hemp Pro Fiber and Hemp Protein Powders
- Nature's Path – Hemp Plus Granola, Granola Bars, Eco Pac Cereal and Hemp Plus Instant Oatmeal
- Nutiva – Bulk Hemp Seeds, Organic Hemp Oil, Packaged Hemp Seeds and Hemp Shake Mixes