NEW YORK -- Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook told a conference Tuesday that the iPod and iPhone maker was "incredibly interested" in wearable computers.
"It's an area where it's ripe for exploration. It could be a profound area," Cook said at a conference sponsored by the All Things Digital technology blog.
"It's ripe for us all getting excited about. I think there will be tons of companies playing in this," Cook said.
Rumors have circulated this year that Apple is developing and testing a "smart watch" type of device which will run on Apple's iOS software. Cook didn't say at the conference whether Apple was working on any wearable products.Apple: Where From Here?
Sprint (S) and Japan's Softbank reached an agreement in principle with the U.S. government on a plan designed to protect national security as the two companies seek to close their $20 billion takeover deal, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The security agreement is likely to be finalized in coming days, the Journal said. The agreement would clear the biggest regulatory hurdle facing Softbank's proposed acquisition of Sprint, the No. 3 U.S. wireless carrier.
Apache (APA) is exploring a sale of a stake in its shallow water Gulf of Mexico assets, attracting private-equity interest as it looks to reach a $4 billion asset sale target, several people familiar with the matter told Reuters.
Chico's FAS (CHS) is expected by analysts to report on Wednesday first-quarter earnings of 36 cents a share on revenue of $707.8 million. 4 Stocks Spiking on Big Volume
Wall Street expects Fresh Market (TFM) to report first-quarter earnings of 44 cents a share. 5 Stocks Poised to Pop on Bullish Earnings
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV