By Derrik J. Lang
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- It's a blowout at the box office.
Fast & Furious 6 is revving past The Hangover Part III in the No. 1 position at the Memorial Day weekend box office.
Universal Pictures' (CMCSA) sixth installment of its muscle car franchise featuring Vin Diesel and Paul Walker debuted with $98.5 million domestically from Friday to Sunday, according to studio estimates Sunday.Meanwhile, the final edition of the raunchy Warner Bros. (TWX) comedy trilogy starring Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms opened with $42.1 million in the No. 2 spot. Universal estimates that by the end of the four-day holiday weekend Monday, Fast & Furious 6 will have pulled in $122.2 million domestically and $275.5 million worldwide. That would give it the second-biggest opening of the year behind Iron Man 3. Paramount Pictures' (VIA) sci-fi sequel Star Trek: Into Darkness earned $38 million at No. 3 in its second weekend at the box office, while the Fox animated film Epic opened at No. 4 with $34.2 million. Overall domestic receipts for the four-day Memorial Day weekend are expected to come in ahead of 2011's record-breaking $276 million. Paul Dergarabedian, an analyst for box-office tracker Hollywood.com, estimated that four-day revenues this time will total $323 million, about 15 percent above Memorial Day weekend in 2011, when The Hangover Part II delivered a $103.4 million debut.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV