Investors Shift Focus To Growth Stocks
As yields have risen, the big dividend-paying stocks, utilities and telecommunication companies, have fallen.
HOPEFUL SIGNS ON EARNINGS
Another reason investors are starting to take a shine to technology stocks is that their earnings are showing signs of picking up.
Microsoft delivered solid results last month from its Office, software tools and Xbox divisions.Google, the leader in Internet search, raised prices for ads distributed to smartphones and tablet computers. The company's stock climbed above $900 for the first time May 15. Even the outlook for Hewlett-Packard is improving. The company's stock surged 17 percent Wednesday after the struggling PC maker reported quarterly earnings that weren't as bad as analysts had been expecting. That encouraged investors to think that HP's turnaround strategy may succeed. THE CAVEAT The nascent rally in growth stocks may be short-lived if the economy fails to build on its performance in the first quarter, says Barry Knapp, head of equity strategy at Barclays Capital. Barclays predicts that U.S. growth will slow to 1.5 percent in the second quarter, from 2.5 percent in the first quarter, as the economy is held back by government spending cuts. "If it becomes clear that we're growing at that sort of a rate in the second quarter, and we don't see much of a pickup in the third quarter, I don't really see how the cyclical names could continue their current bounce," says Knapp.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV