Media Advisory - Calgary Physiotherapist's Research Provides Evidence To Inform Hockey Canada's Ban On Bodychecking In Peewee Hockey
MONTREAL, May 26, 2013 /CNW/ - Findings from one of the Canada's leading researchers in injury and concussion prevention in youth sport and recreation led to Hockey Canada's decision yesterday to eliminate bodychecking in peewee ice hockey involving 11 and 12- year-old players.
Carolyn Emery is a physiotherapist member of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA), and University of Calgary associate professor who co-chairs the Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre in the Faculty of Kinesiology. She is an injury epidemiologist and has studied injuries and concussions in youth hockey players with her group for over 10 years. Her research program has provided much of the evidence that informed Hockey Canada's landmark decision.
"This policy change will prevent at least 5,000 injuries and over 1,500 concussions in 11- and 12-year-old hockey players next season," says Emery, praising the decision.
Emery is currently in Montreal attending CPA's annual Congress. She will be available for interviews on Sunday, May 26.About CPA The Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) represents over 12,000 physiotherapists, physiotherapist assistants and physiotherapy students across Canada. CPA members are rehabilitation professionals dedicated to the health, mobility and fitness of Canadians. In partnership with provincial and territorial branches and practice divisions, CPA enables members to learn, share knowledge and enhance practice. CPA provides resources, education, ideas and advocacy to enable our professional community to better serve Canadians. www.physiotherapy.ca SOURCE Canadian Physiotherapy Association
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV