The ad revenue is small compared to the billions of dollars made on traditional TV, and Hulu lags far behind Netflix in paying subscribers. Netflix boasts 29.2 million subscribers in the U.S. alone.
Hulu could also be a contributing factor to viewers choosing to cancel traditional pay TV packages, which are far more expensive, in favor of watching video over the Internet.
Representatives for DirecTV Group Inc., Time Warner Cable Inc., KKR, Silver Lake and William Morris declined to comment. Spokespeople for Yahoo! Inc. and Guggenheim did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment. A representative for the Chernin Group could not immediately be reached.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV