U.S. Postal Service 'Million Mile Drivers' Offer Safe Driving Tips For Memorial Day Weekend
/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The thousands of Postal Service employees who have individually driven more than a million, accident-free miles are delivering safety tips to Americans hitting the road this Memorial Day weekend.
WASHINGTON , May 24, 2013
- Drive defensively — expect the unexpected.
- Maintain a safe distance of one car length for every 10 mph between you and the car in front of you.
- Be courteous, use turn signals and obey all laws.
- Keep your options open — have a "what to do if I'm cut off" strategy.
- Turn off mobile devices when driving — no cell phones or texting.
How do they do it?"Safe driving is no accident," said U.S. Postal Service Safety and Health Director Linda DeCarlo. "The safety of our employees is our top priority, and we are proud our comprehensive safe driver training program is second to none." According to the National Safety Council, more than 9,300 Postal Service employees have achieved a distinction most people never approach in their lifetimes — driving more than a million, accident-free miles. No other business comes close. The nation's 31,000 plus Post Offices are linked by nearly 214,000 vehicles — the world's largest civilian fleet. More than 300,000 letter carriers and truck drivers log more than 1.2 billion miles annually when delivering to America's 151.5 million addresses. Since 2005, 9,385 Postal Service professionals have each driven more than a million miles without a single accident. Reaching this pinnacle requires a safe attitude that entails driving 1 million miles or 30 years without a preventable incident. Tips from a few Million Milers
- For Orchard Park, NY, City Carrier Nancy Pillard, with almost 34 years on the job, safety starts before she even takes to the streets. "I make sure my vehicle is in complete operative condition every day," she said. "I identify and report repair work for lights, tires, wipers and mirrors, and I then make sure that the repairs are done ASAP."
- Akron, OH, Five Points Station Letter Carrier Pat Betts has driven nearly 35 years without a motor vehicle accident. "I've learned to slow down with my driving as I have senior citizens on my route and businesses that generate a lot of traffic," said Betts. "I use my turn signals — even in parking lots which are inherently unsafe."
- Orchard Park, NY Letter Carrier Ron Reukauf started his postal career in 1978, but also has a few years of personal driving under his seat belt. More than 40 years of driving experience has provided him with some sound practices and wisdom. "I've found myself adopting three theories on safety which have helped me so far," said Reukauf. "They are: 'Expect the unexpected;' 'Any distraction can put you in traction;' and 'Safety first, never last. Have a future, not a past."
- Norway, SC, Rural Carrier, Dwain Fogle has driven 33 years with a perfect driving safety record — just like his father. Bryan Fogle, Dwain's dad, delivered mail in Neeses and Orangeburg, SC, during his 41-year career. He earned the award before retiring in 1998. Dwain delivers to 452 mail boxes along 92.5 miles of highway and 35 miles of dirt roads in his right-hand drive jeep. Dwain credits his dad with teaching him to be respectful of others. "I was taught as a child to be courteous. I think being courteous to each other is the main thing when you're on the road," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV