Exploration Of Rare Neb. Mineral Deposit On Hold
NioCorp officials remain confident in the project, but they need outside experts to complete a full metallurgical analysis of the samples that have been drilled before investors will consider committing $300 million to $400 million for a mine. The decision on whether to build a mine is still about two years away.
"The entire process never gets done as quickly as I would like it to get done," Dickie said.
NioCorp has struggled to raise money for the Elk Creek project because the funding market has tightened up in recent years, and Dickie said it has been especially hard for smaller companies to attract investors.
But Dickie said that NioCorp cut its expenses sharply two years ago to help it withstand this lean period."Corporate survival is not a question for us at all," Dickie said. "It's a question of advancing the project." Niobium hasn't been produced in the United States in significant amounts since 1959. The U.S. Geologic Survey estimates $500 million worth of niobium was imported in 2012, up from about $424 million the year before. The agency has said the Elk Creek deposit of niobium could become one of the world's largest sources of niobium and other rare earth elements used in cellphones, wind turbines, hybrid car batteries and other applications. ___ Follow Josh Funk online at www.twitter.com/funkwrite ___ Online: NioCorp Developments Ltd.: www.niocorp.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV