Exploration Of Rare Neb. Mineral Deposit On Hold
By JOSH FUNK
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) â¿¿ A Canadian mining firm says it's close to securing the funding needed to move forward with a plan to extract a valuable and rare heat-resistant element from beneath southeast Nebraska.
NioCorp Developments CEO Peter Dickie said he expects to secure financing for the Elk Creek, Neb., project within the next few weeks.
Once the company gets funding, it will resume drilling samples to determine how much niobium and other rare earth elements are present, and NioCorp will finish analyzing the samples it has already collected. Those elements are used in making steel and high-tech devices."We are moving as quickly as we can, but financing has been difficult," said Dickie, whose company used to be known as Quantum Rare Earth Developments. Niobium is used to harden steel and make it more heat-resistant for industrial uses, and NioCorp officials believe more than 100 tons of the element are lying more than 500 feet below agricultural land about 70 miles southwest of Lincoln. Currently, there are no U.S. mines producing niobium. People who live near Elk Creek hope the mining project succeeds because a niobium mine could employ as many as 500 people, but residents aren't counting on it because there have been so many delays. Johnson County Commissioner Scotty Gottula said he hasn't heard anything from NioCorp in a long time. "We still hope the project goes forward. It would be good for the community," Gottula said. Residents learned to be cautious about mining companies years ago after Colorado-based Molycorp abandoned plans for an Elk Creek niobium mine in the 1990s. Niobium prices have increased since Molycorp abandoned the site, making a mine more likely. But the project site near Elk Creek has been relatively quiet since NioCorp completed a round of exploratory drilling in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV