Improving Economy Changes Political Landscape
The declining deficit also means that another knock-down partisan fight in Congress over raising the government's borrowing limit won't happen until October or November instead of early summer as originally envisioned.
The present dynamic, with Obama and his Democratic allies forced onto defense in three separate matters, is not lost on Republican leaders hoping to pick up seats in the House and regain control of the Senate next year.
Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) opened a news conference Thursday by asserting that "jobs continue to be our No. 1 priority" before he quickly moved to "the IRS scandal" and other alleged administration improprieties.
The matters now being investigated by multiple congressional committee "all feed and fuel the narrative of government intrusiveness and a government that is too large," said Thomas E. Cronin, a presidential historian at Colorado College."To some extent, the Obama administration has accidentally given Republicans a whole new line of attack," Cronin said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV