CANOGA PARK, Calif., May 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne engines provided the power to successfully place the fifth in a series of Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS-5) communication satellites into orbit today for the U.S. military. The mission was launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., aboard a United Launch Alliance Delta IV medium rocket with Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne RS-68 and RL10B-2 engines providing the booster and upper-stage propulsion, respectively. This was the first flight of the Delta IV rocket after a successful launch in October 2012 in which an anomaly occurred with the upper stage engine system. Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne is a United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX) company.
"The RL10B-2 performed flawlessly, providing the upper stage power to loft this key spacecraft into orbit," said Christine Cooley, RL10 program manager, Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne. "I am especially proud of the RL10 team's very professional and tireless support to thoroughly investigate and address the anomaly experienced on the last Delta IV launch. Following a rigorous investigative process and working seamlessly with a team of highly skilled employees from Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, United Launch Alliance (ULA), Air Force, NASA and other aerospace companies, flight clearance was obtained. This team should take great pride in knowing their contributions will allow us to continue to build on the RL10 legacy – an engine that has helped shape this nation's space program since its beginning 50 years ago."
The RL10B-2 is a unique cryogenic upper-stage engine featuring the world's largest carbon – carbon extendable nozzle that provides 465 seconds of specific impulse and 24,750 pounds of thrust. The rocket was boosted off the pad by the powerful RS-68 engine designed for heavy lift, with 758,000 pounds of vacuum thrust and 663,000 pounds of sea-level thrust.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV