TSX: SLW NYSE: SLW
VANCOUVER, May 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - Silver Wheaton Corp. ("Silver Wheaton" or the "Company") (TSX:SLW) (NYSE:SLW) has today been notified by Barrick Gold Corporation ("Barrick") that Barrick is currently reviewing a resolution that it has received on the Pascua-Lama project by Chile's Superintendent of the Environment (Superintendencia del Medio Ambiente or "SMA").
The SMA requires Barrick to complete Pascua-Lama's water management system in accordance with the project's environmental permit before resuming construction activities in Chile and has levied a $16 million fine against Barrick.
"We remain confident in Barrick's ability to develop Pascua Lama into one of the world's great gold / silver mines," said Randy Smallwood, President and Chief Executive Officer of Silver Wheaton. "Barrick has continued to show a strong commitment to exceeding regulatory compliance and protecting the environment, and it is worth highlighting that there have been no negative environmental impacts at Pascua Lama to date. We remain confident in Barrick's commitment to this project, and look forward to seeing this issue resolved. Silver Wheaton looks forward to a long term partnership with Barrick on Pascua-Lama."SOURCE Silver Wheaton Corp.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV