Art Therapy Effective Tool For U.S. Air Force Veteran In Both Smoking Cessation And Pain Reduction
WINCHESTER, Calif., May 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Vietnam veteran David Hartman of Mound, Minnesota is lucky to be alive. He survived an overseas battlefield, exposure to Agent Orange and, after returning home, being hit by a car while riding a bicycle. But not even the collision itself could take Hartman's life – it was a seemingly innocuous injury from the accident that almost ended him.
Initially, Hartman tended to his wound, a right hand laceration, by himself. But after a few days he said, "I woke up and my hand was three times its normal size, so I went to the VA in Minneapolis."
His hand had become badly infected, requiring surgery. "Not only did I nearly lose my arm, I very nearly lost my life," said Hartman.During his hospitalization, Hartman noticed other veterans working on arts & crafts kits. The kits, provided for free by nonprofit organization Help Hospitalized Veterans, are for veteran and military patients to use while recovering both physical and emotional wounds. "I only had use of one hand, but I was bored and needed something to do," said Hartman. "My pain was severe, but watching television and reading weren't helping. I decided to try a leather project and used my right elbow to hold the kit down while I stitched with my other hand," he said. "Right away, that leather kit lit a fire in me. I finished it and wanted to do another." "When I was working on a craft kit, I noticed that I became so focused on it that I didn't have any pain," Hartman said. "As my hand got better I did more kits." "I even started doing research on leather stitching and have actually become good at it," Hartman added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV